Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Heather and F.L.

When we were growing up we often used the expression F.L. F.L. was the abbreviation for family loyalty. It meant that we were to be careful about saying negative things about each other or the family as a whole in front of others. If I was starting to tell a funny and embarassing story about one of my siblings, for example, my Dad would turn to me and say, "F.L., Sarah." It was a reminder, a warning. F.L. also meant something more than just being respectful of each other in our speech. It meant we were best friends. Our loyalty to each member of the family was greater than our loyalty to anyone outside the family. Our F.L. ran wide. We were loyal to our parents and siblings and also to our 100 (roughly) first cousins, uncles and aunts, grandparents, etc.

I'm afraid I've lost a little of my F.L. over the years. I wouldn't say I'm as fiercely loyal, especially to the extended family, as I used to be. Heather, though, has always been a crazy F.L. fanatic. You won't catch her talking bad about her family or any member of it. She LOVES her family. She has more loyalty than anyone I know.

2 comments:

Jess said...

It's fun to read about your sis!! We miss you and YES we are so moving! Dallas did not get laid off, just found a better job ;) So are you pregnant yet??

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Did you do this post so I'll feel bad and stop talking trash about you behind your back? Hint taken! Where did you get that picture? I've never seen it before. I like it!