Friday, February 26, 2010

To Journal or Blog--That is the Question

So, my Dad sent me a quote the other day. It was a good reminder of why we're supposed to be keeping journals. And that reminds me of a question I am constantly asking myself. Which is most important: journaling in a personal journal, scrapbooking family memories, making family videos, blogging, writing family emails, etc. Is just one sufficient, or do we need to be trying to keep up with all of them? Before you think of your answer, you should read the quote:

"People who care nothing for the past usually have no thought for the future and are selfish in the way they use the present. When there is proper regard for the past and its people, we enrich the present. I have managed to fill 78 volumes which are my personal journal. There have been times when I have been so tired at the end of the day that the effort could hardly be managed, but I am so grateful that I have not let slip away from me and my posterity those things which needed to be recorded." Spencer W. Kimball--Church News August 16, 1980 p6

I don't know what the answer is, but I find myself defending each record-keeping approach. The things I write in my journal are personal, so personal that I would never write them in a blog. It's where I record some of my most tender spiritual experiences and my greatest frustrations. It would cheapen it to record all of that in a blog. My family scrapbooks are priceless--really! I wouldn't trade anything for them. If my house was burning down I would grab them first after my children. A picture is worth a thousand words, and these pictures speak volumes. My blog is how I keep in touch with extended family and friends. It's a social way of talking about my life. But it also keeps a history of events that aren't recorded anywhere else. And most importantly...it's a place to store my pictures. If my house did burn down, I would have pictures still because they're on my blog. (do you think I'm obsessed with my house burning down?) We don't take family movies and I have a constant ulcer about it. My kids are growing up! There's no other way to record the little physical idiosyncracies my children have. Still photos and journaling can't do it justice like movies can. But these things take up a lot of time! Am I wasting so much time recording history that I'm failing to actually live anything worth recording?

What do you do?









10 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Don't really know the answer. Maybe that's because there isn't really one. Document...however you do it, just do it. I feel like I can be a little more "real" in a journal, but am overwhelmed by the thought of doing one right now. I wouldn't know where to stop every day. 5 pages, 6 pages? With a blog, I share an experience, what I learned and I'm done. I think the main message from President Kimball is to record it...somewhere.

GORGEOUS Malone kids! Love them :)

Jami Jackson said...

Love the quote but it did make me feel guilty for not keeping a regular journal. Unfortunately, I'm not as good as you at keeping a scrapbook of pictures. Blogging is really they only thing I do right now. So if my computer crashed, I'd lose hundreds of priceless pictures (except the ones on my blog).

I swear your kids have the most beautiful eyes ever! They just pop in those pictures!

Jennifer Miller said...

Amen sister! I think having a personal/spiritual journal is priceless and needs to be kept for our spiritual groth and remembrance. But I think that the flip side is blogging. a fun way to share what your family is upto. I don't think I would know you as well if you didnt keep a blog. I really enjoy reading other peoples successed and even hard times. And I always love your spiritual insite!
Keep it coming!
ps
You are a fantastic writer!

Jenny G said...

My solution has been to blog things that are sharable since it is how I easily record pictures with their events and keep my family in touch and such. Then I also keep a personal journal on my computer. At the end of each year I print out my blog in a book (blurb books) and add my personal journal for the year along with the journals I keep for my kids in the back of that book. Voila, they're all in one book printed out for each year. I hope that helps. Good luck with however you decide!

Malone Family Blog said...

Well, my blog is a failure, my journal is not caught up at ALL, my pictures are in a scattered mess, so I take up a mission on Family History. Somehow this does not make any sense at all. You young mothers are the BEST ever. Don't worry about what you do not do, because you are doing the best at what you do do. I think it is FANTASTIC, and I love you Malones. xoxoxoxoxoMom M.

christa said...

What do I do? Nothing! Does that make you feel better? Or ashamed for knowing me?

Joel Flake, Sr. said...

Great pictures of your cute kids!

Love, Dad

Joel Flake, Sr. said...

Where did you get those beautiful kids? Or is it just your good photo skills? I like you comments on journalizing, etc. At least with a life history made from well-kept journals your can bind it into a book for your posterity to read. Dad.

Payne said...

Great photos of your kids. I loved this post because I have the exact same quesion...I was going to post something similar asking for advice. So, it's ineresting to read others' responses. I also love that Pres. Flake commented twice. My mom always does that too, usually by accident.

I think it's about priorities. And I think a peronal journal should be a first priority because it would be the most real, efficient, and telling piece of family history for your posteriy --A way for your great great grandchildren to really get to know you. I would fill scrapping, and blogging in as time permits.

I sure love blogs though -- there are no doubt negative sides of blogging for some but I just am thankful for the connection that I feel to those who I don't talk with often enough.

I did't write in my journal once -- NOT ONCE -- in February because I was blogging more. It seemed repetiive and unnecessary to do both but I do feel that keeping a journal is the most important.

Carey

PS -- I want to see some of your photoraphy skills on landscapes and nature, etc. When you are not journaling, blogging, or scrapping, or taking care of your kids, can you take some photos of some random stuff?

literaqueen said...

What if you think of all these different types of records as different plates, kind of like the small and large plates for The Book of Mormon? They all have different purposes, so they're all needed for various readers/audiences.

Time for a scripture reference (except I'm too lazy to get up and get my Book of Mormon and look it up): it's in Mosiah 4 (near the end), and it's King Benjamin reminding everyone not to run faster than their strength. You do what you can and then be happy about it.