Thursday, February 18, 2010

How I Regained My Faith in Humanity

I'm not gonna lie, this winter has got me down. It's been cold and snowy and gray and dreary FOREVER. I never go anywhere. My kids are driving each other, themselves (and me) crazy. So, you won't be surprised to hear that I haven't been to the gym in a few days. Look, it takes a lot of motivation to get out of bed at 5:30 and go out into the freezing temperatures to get to the gym and workout. And motivation is something I am lacking lately. I don't feel like doing anything. Showering, cleaning the house, even making dinner all seem like burdens to me. I just want to sit on the couch or take a nap. Hibernation is not just for animals, that's what I figure!

Anyway, today I spent the day like most. Actually, it was worse because I hadn't even showered when the kids got home from school. I was boycotting it altogether. Oh, I had puttered around cleaning and doing laundry, but I hadn't left the house and I hadn't taken the time to get ready. And I HADN'T exercised. Maybe I was to the breaking point, maybe I wasn't.

Then Merrody and Joel came in from school. I didn't give any speeches about how I had a headache, please just get along. I actually was doing something else for a couple of minutes. Then I heard it...nothing. No fighting. No whining for a snack. No teasing. No mess-making. Jack had settled in to sharing the Valentine's treats he had gotten at preschool with his siblings. Merrody was doing her homework! Homework! Right after school! Joel was neatly playing with his toys. I could hardly believe my eyes (and ears!). After everyone did their homework, they did their chores. Then everyone actually ate their dinner, no complaints!

I have to admit, while I was making dinner, I was actually choking back tears. It was a miracle! One day with no fighting. Peace in our home. No rushing and nagging. These were things I'd longed for, but never experienced...and on a day like this! Oh, sweet friends. These little children of mine are such sweet friends. I found myself happier, spunkier even. They pulled me out of my doldrums and back to the place I needed to be. The place where their mother should always be. Happy to be at home.

3 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Yay for a day like today!!! <3

Jami Jackson said...

So glad your kids saw what you needed. Wish mine would . . .

MANDY said...

What a gift! Glad to hear that your kids pulled you out of your winter funk.