You've probably heard the idea of choosing a word to define your year as part of a New Year's Resolution. If you haven't, feel free to read here or here. I , myself, had heard the idea a few times but never thought to try it on my own. Until now.
Over the past few weeks I've been thinking a lot about luxuries. You know, the kinds other people have, but I don't...Or the kinds I don't know if I wish I had...Or the kinds I wish someone else could have...Or the kinds I'd like to provide for my children. You get the idea. Most of my luxuries were stuff, I have to admit. Boats, tropical vacations, nice cars and houses, expensive clothes, you get the idea. Gradually, though, my thought process shifted a little to luxuries of choice. So many of the luxuries we enjoy or do not enjoy are a matter of choice. Want some examples? Thought you'd never ask...
1. The luxury of not feeling tired all the time. This is a luxury that we can easily provide for ourselves if we will just CHOOSE to go to bed at a reasonable hour.
2. The luxury of having the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. Again, we can CHOOSE to have this by inviting the spirit into our lives or choose to squeeze him out by allowing things that will offend him.
3. The luxury of not feeling fat in my clothes. I think you know what I will have to CHOOSE to provide myself with this luxury. But anyone who has experienced it both ways will agree, it is a luxury to feel good in your clothes!
4. The luxury of being in a good mood. I have given this one a lot of thought. I could provide this luxury to my entire family--a mother who's in a good mood. It is definitely something you CHOOSE, although it is sometimes a difficult choice.
5. The luxury of time alone with my husband. It's about priorities, isn't it? I have to CHOOSE to make the sacrifices necessary, but it's worth it!
6. The luxury of self respect. I think this ones comes when you CHOOSE to rise above and beyond what you have done in the past. It comes when you CHOOSE to use self control in areas you may have been slacking before.
Well, you get the picture. The list could go on and on. And, so, my word for 2010 is Luxury. I resolve to provide myself and my family with some luxuries of choice this year. This short list represents a few of them.
What are your resolutions?
Oh, and here are a few cute pics of Norah...couldn't help myself. (I have the luxury of a cute baby).










6 comments:
Really great and inspirational, as usual. I will work on my word, "Peace" and try to encourage more peace in my personal life, peace in my home, and peace in my relationships with others.
Good luck with your never ending snow storm
Melanie
Great list, Sarah. Choice....it's all a choice, isnt it? I need to remind myself of that at times, especially when I'm trying to teach my 6 year old that she can choose to let things go or choose to relax...I feel like such a hypocrite. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm behind on my goal setting for this year. Oh, and Norah is changing so much...she's the perfect blend of Flake and Malone!
Loved this post, Sarah. It was really from the heart. I read about Faith this morning so it's on my mind. Whenever I read about faith I realize how much more of it I need to have. Maybe I'll make that my word. Thanks for the motivation.
PS (I've always seen you as a person who doesn't care for expensive clothes, boats, fancy cars, etc....I bet if you won the lottery you would save half and give half away...am I right?)
I love this idea. I need to think about my theme word. I worry it might be "patience."
Norah is so cute!
Sarah, you are so wise!!!
My dear Sarah, daughter also, I love your blog and I love you. You have it all together. We, as moms are tooooooo important in the home and sometimes it makes me mad, right? Anyway, my word is "payback" to Heavenly Father and all who love me and influence me, you included. xoxoxoxoMom M.
Post a Comment