
This may be my favorie picture of Matt's childhood. It says so much to me. Krepps Park in the late summer. Matt, always the carefree kid. Carey, always right behind him. (Later on, she was usually a step or two ahead). I found this picture among a stack of pictures from Matt's childhood in our car. Yes, our car. And what's worse, they've been in there for YEARS! I don't know why Matt and I haven't moved them to a safer location. Maybe we both love to look at them during the inevitable waiting that happens in the car. Whatever the reason, this picture got me thinking about Carey...

Matt and I each have a long history with Carey. Matt and Carey were born a short 12 months from each other. I still can't imagine how hard that must've been on their Mom. But it also had a wonderful effect--they were almost like twins! They did everything together as children and were very close through their childhoods.

As teenagers, Matt and Carey shared friends. They were only a grade apart in school and a party at Carey's house was a party at Matt's. Although I knew them as child, I really entered the picture in Jr. High. Matt was best friends with my brother, Joel. Carey and I were best friends. Believe it or not, we had a few siblings' sleepovers before our parents wised up! I have many happy memories of long late-night talks with Carey. And for all the fun and happy memories, I have just as many of the other kind. I want you to know I am smiling right now, remembering endless fights I had with Carey. I don't think any two blood sisters have fought and made up more than Carey and I did! I think that's part of what makes our history so strong!

And so it went. In highschool Joel and Carey dated. It mostly enhanced our relationship :) Matt and I did NOT date, but we were in the same grade and therefore spent a lot of time together working on school projects and generally hanging out.
Most of the important memories of my life include carey. Girls Camp, Mutual, EFY, Seminary and School. Friday nights and Holidays. Most of them were spent with Carey. Carey was my confidant. She and I could talk for HOURS about anything from what boy we might like to why so-and-so would've said such a thing. I always counted Carey as one of the best friends of my life. And that was BEFORE we made it official and I married her brother.
You know the funny thing? Not much has changed! I guess when you put all the pieces together, it's like Carey was my sister long ago. We acted like sisters then and we act like sisters now. We still disagree sometimes. We still talk for hours on end. Most of the memories I make include her. I don't know what I would've done without her, but I know my life wouldn't have been the same if Carey hadn't been such a big part of it.
I love you, Carey! Happy Birthday!

7 comments:
What a sweet post!
Mmmmm...I love that Carey Cecilia Malone Butt. I know, SO crude. Hey, SHE made it up! :) I love all these old pictures and memories you have shared with her. I had no idea the 2 of you were so close growing up. I love it. Happy Birthday dear Carey! <3
I loved seeing those photos! Brings back great memories of the younger days in Morgantown. Happy Birthday Carey!
"just a couple o' grits getting ready to go bridge jumpin' at Cheat Lake" --- Todd Lawrence Payne
I really need copies of those pictures. The memories. It's all so true.
And...seriously, how did you ever get over me locking you out of the van or taking the front in the Geo (I quickly learned that my place was in the back)or when I tattled??...How did I ever get over you telling me that my nose made me ugly or the one about your wishes about my birth??? It sounds so horrible but oh, how I wish we had a video of that scene to replay over and over. Youth conference...in the rain, you in wool knee high socks and shorts. I really love all these memories and, yes, somehow the next night we'd be staying up all night in your room talking about everything.
Sarah, you are such a gem. The post brought a smile to my face and many many memories. There are VERY few people who I call when I want to discuss doctrine, relationships, life, and even when I'm in tears for no good reason. You are one of those and I can't tell you how much I've appreciated our friendhsip and now sisterhood. Love you too!
Carey
Carey is one of my favorite relatives. I've always admired her. She is a wonderful example, so sweet and kind. Thanks for posting this Sarah. p.s. happy belated birthday, Carey.
I love the shorts Matt is wearing in the first picture! Matt, you are a fun guy to be around.
I just realized that I did not co mment on this wonderful post. Thanks so much, dear Sarah, for again making all the Malones happy. You and Carey actually need each other and you have always been there for each other. I am so glad that you married her brother!! xoxoxoxo Mom
Post a Comment