Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Valentines: Joely

I'm especially excited to write about Joel today, because it's his birthday. Seven years. That seems so old to me. Joel is such a sweet guy. He is unusually attuned to my feelings. He is so often saying things like, "That was the best dinner ever" and "Mom, that shirt is pretty". I don't know how he got to be that way, but sometimes I really need it, and I can count on him to give a compliment.

Joel is also very intense. When he decides to be interested in something, it is 100%. You really can't get him to talk about much else. I'm sure that will be to his advantage someday when he's in med school or something. He really can stay focused on one thing longer than any other kid I know.

His personality is so unique and defined. I love that about all of my children. They are real people with real opinions and ideas--most of which are so different from my own. I like them to be who they are and love when they have a chance to really explore things that are just theirs. Joel is probably the most like that of all of my children. So much his own person.

Joel is also incredibly tender. He longs for "hard hugs" and plenty of little squeezes from his parents and siblings. He hates to be the object of disappointment or anger. After 8 1/2 years of parenting, Matt and I have finally found a child who is affected by the punishment of "time out". I never could get my kids to care about being put in time out, but Joel has recently started really freaking out when he is given a time out. I'm pretty sure it's just simply that we are upset with him that bothers him so much. He often cries after doing something wrong because he feels bad. He has a very strong conscience.

I love Joel so much. We would do anything for our boy (sometimes it feels like we're doing A LOT). Whatever the cost, he's worth it.



4 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

So creative - love these blog posts. You are so awesome at photography - makes me want to drive 13 hours to see if you'll take some good family shots for us.

Payne said...

Joely reminds me so much of Paul Malone Jr. in many ways.

Laura B. said...

These photos are fantastic!!! You are such a good photographer! It doesn't hurt that your kids are darling!!

Malone Family Blog said...

Joelly is my curious little friend. We study history and the scriptures and we work together. He is affectionate and darling He is my 'medicine' and I long to be with him. xoxoxo Grandma M.