Sunday, April 25, 2010

Brothers

In the pre-existence the Lord was sorting out families and trying to place each of his children in the optimal circumstances for their learning and growth (atleast that's my theory). When it came time to decide on my family's situation, the Lord knew it would be a difficult choice. Each of my siblings contained gifts and talents that could be learned from by all. Each could easily be a leader or a supporter. All had so much to offer. So, he called his favorite out of the crowd (that would be me:) and asked "Daughter, where would you like to be placed in the order of this vast family?" Without hesitation I replied, "I don't care whether it's at the beginning, middle or end, Father, just put me right between Joel and Justin."

Maybe that's not exactly how it happened. All I know, is if I had been given the choice, that's exactly where I would've asked to be placed.

Sisters are invaluable. I should know, I was blessed with 6 of them. Six beautiful, talented sisters. Each one teaches me things and contributes to my life in ways that I can't count. I was also blessed with four brothers. Derek and Dillon were born at the tail end of the family and thus, were more like cute nephews for a long time. Recently, they have both grown up to be handsome, intelligent, good men. I am proud to call them my brothers and love the time I get to share with them.


Joel and Justin, though, are so much a part of me it's hard to separate them from anything in my past. I was sandwiched just 17 months younger than Joel and only 18 months older than Justin.
My childhood was filled with experiences spent with Joel and Justin. We were good kids together when we were little, got into our share of trouble as teenagers, and shared a lot as adults too.


Fun facts about my brothers:


1. Joel, Justin and I overlapped on our missions for just 1 month. Joel actually came and saw me in the mtc right before I left for Chile and right as he got home from there. Joel served in the Chile Santiago West mission. Justin in the Bolivia Cochabamba mission. I remember when I opened my mission call, I was surprised that it said Chile Santiago South. It felt like I was opening my brother's mission call! I was even more surprised to find out later that I was originally called to the Bolivia Cochabamba mission. I guess the Lord was determined that I would clean up the mess of one brother or another! Ha! They were both amazing missionaries and I managed to live in the shadow of both throughout my mission. That time was one of the highlights in my memories of my brothers. We were separated by huge distances, but we shared so much during that time.


2. Both of my brothers were very good friends with Matt during Jr. High and Highschool. There were many times in the course of our lives when Joel and/or Justin were actually way better friends with Matt than I was! Joel took Matt on his first date, taught him to drive a stick shift and other things. Justin and Matt were also very close during the post-mission times before we got married.


3. Justin lived with me off and on during our college years (against all housing codes). He lived with me for a short while in Rexburg one summer, slept on my couch many times in Provo, and then lived with me before my wedding in my apartment in Orem and then with me and Matt for a while after we were married.


4. Joel and I shared our first jobs together at I Can't Believe it's Yogurt. Justin and I worked together at Revco stocking shelves. Justin and Matt did aerating together one summer as well.


5. Joel busted my lip atleast three time in childhood and one time (accidentally) just a year or two ago! Justin totalled my car once. I'm sure I have done equally aggravating things, but we somehow manage to forgive each other and stay the best of friends.


Since becoming adults, our lives have changed, but our love and friendship with each other has remained. We have leaned on each other in times of hardship and rejoiced in each other's victories. We give unsolicited advice like it's candy and tease each other's children for a little flavor of the old days. I could part with many things in my life, but my brothers are irreplaceable! I love you guys, thanks for giving me some of the best memories of my life!















4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very sweet Sarah. You have always been a good friend to me. One of the things I have really grown to love about you, is what a great friend you are to my wife. That really means a lot to me. We both cherish our friendships with you, and sometimes have arguments about who you are better friends with. Speaking of fights, you and Melanie are the only two people that I "apologize" to when I am clearly in the right. I think you know what I mean....
LYTM--Joel

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Wow, so glad you have your "brothers." How horrible would your life be without them?

Bethany said...

I liked the fun facts and the pictures. I could've done without the Saturday's Warrior part at the beginning. And thanks for thinking I'm beautiful and talented. You were referring specifically to me, right?

Malone Family Blog said...

What an absolute precious family with such a BEAUTIFUL mother, RaeAnn. Sarah, your smile is a carbon copy. xoxoxo Mom M.