Wednesday, September 5, 2012

One Eyed Hazie the Pirate Baby

 I didn't notice anything unusual about Hazel when she was born.  She was tiny and cute and had all of her fingers and toes.  I was thrilled with my cute baby girl.  She was a couple of days old when I noticed that only one of her eyes was opening.  I took her to her first appointment and was reassured when the doctor told me not to worry.  Apparently, lots of babies sustain injuries to their eyelids in birth and are born with one or both eyes swollen.  It was supposed to resolve itself in a couple of weeks.  I didn't think her eye looked swollen at all.  And I couldn't help but draw conclusions based on my previous experience with Merrody.  So, when things didn't resolve in two weeks like the doctor had promised, I knew what to expect.

Ptosis.  It is basically an underdeveloped eyelid muscle and can be repaired by surgery.  Not exactly my dream scenario for my sweet little baby, but we've done this before and Merrody has had no further eyelid issues, so we are grateful it's not more serious.  In the meantime, Hazie has to wear an eye patch on her good eye to help the other eye continue to function.  She is so darling in it (although she hates it).  We call her "One eyed Hazie the Pirate Baby". 

No comments: