Today is my Dad's birthday. The older I get, the more tender I am when I think about my parents. They are such amazing people! Seriously, I know few people who inspire me more than they do. Most of my life, I took for granted that everyone must have amazing parents like mine. But I am realizing that that is unfortunately not the case. Most people do not have parents like mine. As I think about the memories I have of my life with them, I wonder what kind of memories I will leave with my children. What kind of legacy am I leaving behind? What kind of strengths (or weaknesses) am I building in my children? What little habits will they remember me doing? What phrases will they remember me saying? And so, in the spirit of good examples and amazing legacies, I give you my Dad's most quoted phrases: "Break the sweat barrier early in the day, then work your guts out. "(he used to say this to his missionaries every chance he got. He still says it to us...)
"Pour it on, Lord!" (In reference to trials and sacrifices required for blessings)
"Don't be high maintenance."
"Don't hold a grudge--that's so lame."
"Son las escrituras, mi hijitas lindisimas. Y la pagina es..." (he used to say this at the beginning of every family scripture study)
"Prayer, prayer, prayer in the living room." (he still says this at every family prayer)
"Don't offend. Don't be offended."
"It's not my church, it's the Lord's church."
"Self-Denial is good for the soul"
"To what defect in your personality do you attribute your dislike of that person (or lack of faith)?"
"It's an evil spirit that teacheth a man not to pray"
"Who will be the peacemaker?"
"Half of the world's work is done by people who are sick."
"It's not my church, it's the Lord's church."
"Self-Denial is good for the soul"
"To what defect in your personality do you attribute your dislike of that person (or lack of faith)?"
"It's an evil spirit that teacheth a man not to pray"
"Who will be the peacemaker?"
"Half of the world's work is done by people who are sick."
"Arise from the dust, my sons, and be men" (this is how he would wake us up)
"No one can make you angry, you allow yourself to be angry."
"No one can make you angry, you allow yourself to be angry."
"Let's Talk about Heaven" (he always says this when the conversation is degenerating to something negative or off color)
"Let's Plan, Simplify and Be Strong"
"Don't be mean to your kids"
"Don't get blase about...(insert anything we should be grateful for: the gospel, the view, the good food, all being together, etc.)"
After every General Conference: "I'm going to be a better boy. I've turned over a new leaf".
"Isn't the church wonderful?"
"Mind your mother"
"You're real nice for doing this".
"May the Lord bless you kids."
This list was contributed to heavily by my 10 brothers and sisters. We had a lot of fun compiling it and reminiscing about the many life lessons we learned from our amazing Father. And this was just the highlights! We have a lifetime of inside jokes and memories with our father. I hope I can provide more than just "please don't make your brother cry" and "get in bed right now" as memories to my kids. The opportunity to compile this list has inspired me to be a better mother and remember that what comes out of my mouth may be remembered for my childrens' lifetimes.
In Elder Bednar's General Conference talk, he said,
"May every spouse, every child, and every parent be blessed to communicate and receive love, to bear and be edified by strong testimony, and to become more consistent in the seemingly small things that matter so much."
That's what we had at my house. That's what I hope to give my children.
Thanks, Dad (and Mom). I love you so much. Happy Birthday!

8 comments:
that was a wonderful post about your dad. I really enjoyed reading it. ALl the quotes from him sound great. (and funny) I can imagine all the things that my dad says....
Wow! I always knew you had amazing parent, but wow! Happy Birthday, President/Bishop Flake! You've given me more to think about, Sarah. Thanks.
WOW, Great post!! so was your last one! You have inspired me on many levels ;) Hope you have a great day & that I see ya soon! Love ya!
Happy Birthday!
What a great post! I feel blessed to be related to such a person as your Dad. Happy Birthday Uncle Joel!
Sarah- thanks for the inspiration. I think we're currently stuck in the "did you do your homework?" "take a shower" "*good night* I still love you, but I'm not saying it anymore!" mode.
Now what inspired me to post on this particular day? Who knows, but I miss ya!
I was looking at this post and picture of your dad and Elena came in and said - "Oh I've seen him, he's one of the prophets." I guess she sees something special too!
Great post. My family never generated these kinds of quotes. . .
Post a Comment