So, um, sorry I missed my devotional last week. I guess Heather was right, I'm not righteous enough to pull it off every week. But I'm back this week. What does that mean, Heather?
A couple of weeks ago Matt and I went over to a friend's house for dinner. We got to talking about family traditions, in particular father's interviews. So, she pulled out her old family videos (now on dvd) and we watched her Dad giving her and her siblings father's interviews as children. I was RIVETED! Matt actually does interviews, but I had never seen it and it was fascinating to watch this total stranger interact with his kids. They prayed together, memorized a little poem that taught a lesson, talked about how things were going in the kid's life, and he told them how much they meant to him. It was incredible, really.
It's a tough world our kids are growing up in. How can we help them to make it through without too many permanent scars? We need ideas! Things we can do, traditions we can start, that will help our kids through the rough times. An extra coat of armor. So, here are a few of mine. I'd love to hear yours!
1. Old standbys, I guess, but the Prophet thought them up (or the Lord) FHE, Family Scripture Study, Family Home Evening.
2. Father's interviews. (I also do "Mommy time" where I spend a little one-on-one time with each kid before bed just talking and even playing with their favorite toy.)
3. Matt and I have bought a set of scriptures for each of our kids. I read through the Book of Mormon and mark it in red, then Matt reads it and marks it in Blue. When we're finished, we each write our testimony and glue it in the front cover. I'm not sure when we'll give them to them. Maybe their missions or when they graduate from highschool. We're done with three sets (not finished with Norah's yet). Hopefully, it will strengthen our kids to know their parents believe in the Book of Mormon. And I mark according to which kid's scriptures I am doing.
4. I haven't put this into effect yet, but I think it would be cool to let each kid choose a scripture that is "their scripture" something they can memorize and use to define them in a way. This could also work with a hymn. They choose it and then I would frame it or put it in their room somehow. Still working on this one...
5. I loved President Monson's talk about service. What a cool idea he shared about asking "what did you do for someone today?" at family dinner. That reminds me, family dinners are a great idea...
6. I've been really thinking about the principle of work lately. Are we teaching our kids by example to be hard workers? The scriptures often interchange the word "wicked" with "idle". It makes me want to implement hard work at home. I love living near so many farmers! These people know how to work!
I guess this gives us something to think about. I would love some comments with more ideas!
Oh, and P.S. I would love some ideas on how to keep kids reverent during church. Ideas I don't want to hear:
1. NO toys or snacks --tried it.
2. LOTS of toys and snacks---tried it.
3. Take them out an punish them---tried it.
4. Keep them in no matter what--tried it.
5. Have FHE/mulitple discussions about the importance of reverence and why we should be good in sacrament meeting--tried it (Joel yelled "I don't want to think about Jesus!" when I shushed him during the sacrament last week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I've really been thinking about service and how I can teach my kids about serving other people. We've talked about it a lot, but I think actually doing it with them is the best teaching tool. I've decided that every holiday, we are going to make a service paper ring. I have strips of paper (color coded to the holiday) and every time someone in the family serves someone else (and we try to serve inside and outside the family), they write or draw a picture of what they did on the strip of paper, and add it to the ring. As the ring grows and fills up our kitchen, the kids are constantly reminded of service. I just think service is something kids these days need to do more of. That's just an idea.
I wish I could help with the reverence thing. One thing we're trying to do is leave early enough that we can drive around with hymns or children's hymns playing in the van. This seems to calm them down before entering the chapel. Good luck with that one!
Wow...these are some great ideas, Sarah. I have nothing to offer on the whole sacrament meeting thing. Nada. I stress an awful lot about my kids "making it" in this owrld. About them surviving middle school, teasing, friends making bad decisions. For me, the most important thing is loving them. I realize this will get harder the older they get, but hugging them...a LOT. Touching them. Reaching over while watching TV and stroking their face. Telling them, daily, how much you, your husband, and the Lord love them. I think that when things get tough, this may be all they have to fall back on. Whew, it's tough being a mom. Tough, but so, so wonderful. :)
I've heard some people practice sacrament meeting at home - dressed up and all. It's a little extreme I guess but I've heard it works.
Really.Really.Annoying.
I just typed up a lovely comment but lost it. The second time is never the same.
Great ideas Sarah! Lately I have been writing scriptures or conference quotes on the mirror in my kids bathroom with dry erase. Maybe I'll leave them a little love note next time.
I have two sacrament reverence ideas for you:
1. Sit behind the noisiest family in the ward.
2. This too shall pass. :)
Realy great blog. You are always a wonderful inspiration to me of how to be a better person, wife, mother and friend. I love your devotionals (but you should send out an email because I'm sure mom and dad don't know you posted).
Lately, for sacrament, I have been asking the kids (at lunch after church) about the speakers. I ask who spoke, what was their topic and what they liked. You could reward the kids for any answers that they know and give them a heads-up that there will be treats for those who can answer. Let me know if you try it, and if it helps.
Melanie
We just talked about teaching service to your kids today in Relief Society. I agree with Jami: kids need to see parents serving. If it's just part of regular life, they'll do it as they're older.
I love the traditions you have listed. LOVE the one-on-one parent time! I love the "theme scripture" idea, too. We've been trying that for seminary with everyone picking one of the scripture mastery verses to be "expert" on. I'm not sure yet if it's working.
I think Elder Bednar said it best: it's all about consistency, even when you think you're not getting through.
Post a Comment