
Matt had to work on Saturday. I was totally bummed. I know that sounds whiny. Lots of guys have to work on Saturdays. And, considering how little work Matt has had lately, I should be doing backflips. Still, right or wrong, I was bummed. And so the day dragged on...Make breakfast. Clean breakfast up. Take a shower. Pay the bills. Make lunch. Clean lunch up. and so on. Until about 4pm. I was sitting there on the couch with my three bored kids listening to the baby cry in the distance (something about not wanting to take a nap). Suddenly, I decided we should do something. We decided to plan a surprise party for Daddy. Nothing too extravagant--just homemade nachos and a carton of ice cream. Maybe a movie from RedBox. The kids were so excited! We jumped in the car and ran to the store to pick up what few things we didn't already have. By the time we got home, Merrody and Joel had cooked up a plan to make a banner and some cards. Matt arrived just as the nachos were coming out of the oven. It warmed my heart to see the pride in the kids' eyes as they yelled "Surprise!" and presented their Daddy with little notes. And Matt was excited, too! He hadn't expected anything to be waiting for him when he got home and it was fun for him to have something planned just for him. It cost next to nothing and took almost no effort. I think I forgot abou
t that kind of fun!

6 comments:
Simple pleasures are the very best kind. The ones that make your kids SO happy. What a cute idea, Sarah. I love you. LOVE the drawings too! :)
What a great idea, and Merrody's drawing is awesome! Matt is a lucky guy!
I love that idea! And look how simple it was! Those pictures they drew are darling. I love kid art! I need to do something like that for Jon . . .
Fabulous idea! Hey-- how come my cats never throw a surprise party for me?
Oh, Sarah, it is things like that little party that truly are "Huge Pleasures". They will always remember it, and Matt will, too. Thanks for all you do to make a happy home. xoxoxxo Mom/Jane
Your blog made me cry. What a nice thing to do for a guy who's had such a hard few months.
Post a Comment