Monday, August 31, 2009

A bit about Matt


We are between cameras right now. I didn't want to not blog, so I stole this idea from a friend's blog. I guess it usually accompanies a birthday or anniversary, but it's too far from Matt's birthday or our anniversary to wait. So, here it is: a few fun tidbits about my sweet husband...

1. Matt is the world's greatest hometeacher. I mean, he's a total nazi about getting it done every month (sometimes twice a month). Matt has been instrumental in re-activating companions and home teachees. Right now Matt's companion is a kid who, I'm pretty sure joined another church a few months ago. But that kid will be hounded consistently every month until he gets removed from Matt's list. He is very dedicated.

2. Matt is anything but lazy. He thinks three day weekends are "too long", watching movies on Friday nights is "lazy" and is openly opposed to napping, especially on Sunday afternoon. He does, however, manage to get a nap every Sunday afternoon while he's supposed to be watching the kids so I can take a nap!

3. Matt LOVES being a dentist. In fact, he loves a lot of nerdy things. He spends most of his free time reading his old dental school texts and looking stuff up on the internet. One night I caught him looking up new billing codes in dentistry. Wow!I'm getting bored just typing this! His recent fascination is talking to our brother-in-law Austin about his science classes for podiatry school. He could do it all day, and sometimes does.

4. Matt has a lot of musical talent. He plays the piano, guitar and saxophone by ear. His best trick is that you can ask him to play any song from the radio and he can play it on the piano with no music! He can also take his saxophone and randomly harmonize to whatever I'm playing on the piano. Pretty impressive, I know, but that doesn't hold a candle to his singing! I am not exagerrating when I say Matt could easily go pro. He recently was the lead in our Stake's production of My Servant Joseph and sounded better than the CD! He might just quit his day job...

5. Matt is a middle-of-the night eater, talker and singer. The singer part is freaky and a little scary, I won't lie.

6. Matt is a prophet. We have known each other our whole lives and saw each other consistently, if sometimes rarely, throughout our young single adult years. We overlapped in Provo for one night after my mission and before he left for Jerusalem to do a semester abroad. Even though he had a girlfriend at the time, he walked me outside and said, "I'm gonna marry you." At the time it seemed incredibly weird and random, but now I like to think it was prophetic.

7. Matt is incredibly likable. Almost EVERYONE who knows him loves him! It's pretty much a cool trait, but gets a little uncomfortable when random women in the ward come up and say, "I love your husband!" I do too. He is loved by patients, neighbors, co-workers and especially by his sisters and girl cousins. What can I say? I can't blame them.

8. Matt's pet peeves are: when the car is dirty, when the hair on his neck is getting long, and when I try to talk to him while he's trying to fall asleep. He really hates that last one.

9. Matt would eat pasta for every meal and prefers fruit pies over chocolate cake. He puts bbq sauce or mustard on lots of perfectly seasoned meals I make. Matt is responsible for the gene that makes my kids like everything healthy. He loves all kinds of fruits and vegetables--and so do they! Matt is capable of drinking an entire half-gallon of fruit juice, soda or lemonade in an evening. He doesn't understand why anyone would drink water.

10. Matt's best sports are all the expensive ones: Golf, snow skiing and water skiing. Matt once spent an entire day skiing me down the slopes on his back! (what?! it was straight ice and I was just learning!) He also likes racquetball. Out of convenience and frugality he runs and lifts weights at the gym.

11. Matt is an amazing husband. He is up when I'm down, calm when I'm stressed and strict when I'm lenient. He tells me he loves me and works his head off at work or home. He loves his kids and is very involved in taking care of them. He is a man who is not afraid to change a diaper, make a bottle or rock a baby. He tells stories to my kids and lays with them until they fall asleep. Everyone in this house is madly in love with him, especially me.

I love you, Matt!

10 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Matt's got my vote!

-Austin

Payne said...

This is by far my favorite post on your entire blog. It made me so happy to read it. I love that you love him so much and see all those wonderful qualities. I can honestly say, knowing him as well as I do and even with many wonderful quirks, that Matt just might be my favorite person in the entire world. He is a special man (I told him once how much I loved him and how special he is -he said, " you mean special...as in special ed?" ). I still laugh when I think about how serious his face was. I could add a hundred more things to this list. I think I will on my blog.

Love you, Matt.

Payne said...

I know I speak not only for myself but my wife as well when I say I wish I was more like Matt Malone. As a protective big brother, he was the only Malone to put me through a screening process to ensure I was qualified to be his brother-in-law. As a ping pong player, his trash talking is so effective, it can lead you to believe you are losing when you are actually comfortably in the lead. He can visit a ward on Sunday while on travel and somehow end up as the special musical number. If once was not enough for Matt to express his feelings during a fireside devotional, then he is not afraid to stand again and finish his thoughts. He was smart enough to marry Sarah; charming enough to still look stylish while dressed as a clown; sweeter than honey though he's strong as a bear; and funny enough to make you laugh while crying. He is a man for all seasons. He is the Man from Moses Lake, and I love him.

~Todd

emlizalmo said...

You people...what are you trying to do to me? Seriously...Sarah, Carey, Todd...

You are all right on about Matt. I love him so immensely. I smile just thinking about him. It is refreshing to be around Matt. Therapeutic in a way. He is like a ball of sunshine. His smile is contagious, his laugh too. He is kind, genuinely interested in people. SO glad he's my cousin. I am so proud of him.

MANDY said...

What a great wife you are to recognize how awesome your husband is!! That was very inspiring, Sarah. Hi to Matt!

Jami Jackson said...

I LOVED reading that post! I didn't know a lot of those things about Matt (i.e. the middle of the night singing). Well, for the past month Matt has been our desktop picture. You know that picture Jon took at Nags Head of just Matt on the beach under the pier? Yep, that's the one that's been hangin' out on our desktop. Jon put it there because he said, "Matt just makes me happy." He is a happy guy and he has a lot of great qualities. "I just love your husband Sarah!" Ha!!

Miss you guys!!

literaqueen said...

Awww, yay! How come Matt was never my home teacher when you guys lived in Morgantown?

Mindy said...

Well, he is OUR Hometeacher and yes, WE LOVE him! (He is also a very good substitute primary teacher!)

Sarah, what a great post! You two make such a great couple!!!

Malone Family Blog said...

Sarah, I love you for this post; Matt, I love you for what you are and for the only person in the whole wide world who can make me belly-laugh and not be able to stop! We are all so lucky to have Matt in our family and especially lucky to have a daughter-in-law who is so caring and observant and loving to all of us. Thanks for this treat of a blog entry!
xoxoxo Mom Malone

Jami Jackson said...

Matt is a true friend.

Jon