Monday, September 28, 2009

IMMORTAL

















What do you do with your kids' "art"? I have never been of the opinion that it's worth saving. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I don't want to lose all memories of their small selves as they grow up. Still, I don't get the point. What is an adult Jack going to do with piles and piles of papers with nearly recognizable super heroes drawn on them? In the meantime, I have boxes of drawings to lug around each time we move? Don't even get me started on refrigerator art. Pretty cluttery for my taste. So, I was thrilled when I saw this art project on a blog I can't remember (sorry, whoever you are):

The unnamed lady from the blog did it with a school class for some community project, but it seemed simple enough, so I decided to do it with the boys. I had bought these frames (actually, they're display frames) when a local department store went out of business. They were $3 each! They had been sitting in my coat closet for months, so I was thrilled to use them up! Anyway, the project is easy. Here's a little how-to:
1. buy foam paper ($5.00 for a 50 pack at WalMart)
2. Cut the paper into various sizes of squares and rectangles (The lady in the example was far more particular about straight lines. Mine are done pretty sloppily, really)
3. Have your kids draw pictures on each square.
4. Trace over the picture nice and hard to create a kind of stamp out of the foam paper.
5. Paint over it. Be careful to cover the paper, but you may have to go over the form again if paint gets down in the cracks.
6. Press the paper onto a textured paper. I bought an acrylic pad at WalMart for $5.
7. Cut the form out and glue all the finished shapes onto a piece of white posterboard.
VOILA! Immortal Art! No more boxes of drawings!



Jack LOVES it!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

I LLLLOOOOOOVVVVEEEE this!! Considering that Joseph does nothing BUT draw, this would be a great way to keep all of his drawings! Thanks for posting this!

Jennifer Miller said...

Wow! very cute.

Jami Jackson said...

I love this Sarah! I have been needing to decorate my kids room's since we moved in (their walls are completely bare to the bone) and this is a great idea. Now they can look up at their adorable art all they want. Love it!!

And miss you . . .

Unknown said...

Yes, it is wonderful! When you come this weekend, will you bring all of the stuff and do it for Natalie and Emery? Thanks!
Melanie

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

looks cool, sounds hard. When can you come to Iowa so Aunt sarah can do this with my kids and be their favorite aunt?!

emlizalmo said...

I'm in love! I need to come back and look at this again later. :)

Mindy said...

Sarah, you are a great decorator! I LOVE kids artwork and have been trying to figure out how to display more. Thanks for a great idea!!

literaqueen said...

This is terrific, Sarah. Thanks for sharing!