Monday, September 15, 2008

Don't forget the keys

So, I was pretty sure it was going to be an okay Sacramaent Meeting. We got there five minutes early (a miracle with an 8:30 ward) and the kids were playing quietly when church started. When it came time for the sacrament to be passed, things were still going okay. I was thrilled! Then it came time for the water to be passed... Apparently, Joel likes to do everything himself. He touches about 15 pieces of bread before choosing one and often as many cups. So, Matt picked a cup up and handed it to Joel. Well, he wasn't having that and refused to take the water at all. Of course, after it was gone he started crying for water. I kept whispering into his ear and trying to calm him down, promising that I would take him out and get him a drink as soon as the sacrament was over. Finally, he was making such a fuss that Matt took him out in the middle of the sacrament. He brought him back in a few minutes later and he immediately began asking for water again. He wanted me to get him a drink, not Daddy. So, I took him out to the water fountain. Then, he wouldn't take a drink with me watching and insisted that I "go away". Well, after much frustration, I decided to run into the bathroom. When I came back he was opening and closing the door at the front of the chapel (by the stand). I grabbed him and he started screaming bloody murder, so I took him outside. Then he started screaming and running away. There I was, pregnant and in heels, chasing after a screaming 4 year old. I decided my only option was to restrain him by buckling him in his car seat. Luckily, the car was unlocked. So, I told him he was going to have a timeout in his carseat until he could calm down and go back into Sacrament Meeting. I buckled him in and sat in the passenger's seat. He started opening and shutting the sliding door, so I locked the door from inside and sat there quietly while he was calming down. Well, when I was pretty sure he had calmed down, I decided to get out and take him back into church. As soon as I unlocked the door to get out, the car alarm started going off! I jumped out of the car and was about to get Joel out and run inside to get the keys to turn off the alarm, when the doors locked me out. Now, Joel was in the car and the car alarm was going off and I didn't have the keys! The entire congregation watched me walk up to our row (three rows from the front) to get the keys from Matt as the car alarm was blaring in the background. And after an hour of heck, the little sweetie went right to primary with no trouble and a smile on his face. Isn't church fun?!

11 comments:

Bethany said...

Hilarious story, but obviously painful at the time. We have 2:30 church with a 14-month-old. Why do we even go?
-Bethany

Aaron said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

This story was a bit funny to me. Sorry. I guess when it rains it pours. Church and littles just don't go together. Oh well. I just tell myself that going and persevering through it is an example to my kids that it is important.

Jami Jackson said...

Oh Sarah!! That had me laughing and cringing at the same time! It reminded me of the your story about Joel and Merrody running to the front of the chapel in Morgantown. Hopefully you'll laugh at the situation soon.

I can only relate to you right now though. Our little Sydney has turned into quite the struggle during Sacrament meeting. We just don't know what to do with her. I guess we just keep trying.

How are you feeling? How do you like Moses Lake? I so need to just call you. Miss you like crazy!

Jami Jackson said...

Oh!! I just read that you're having a GIRL!!! Congrats!!!! I am so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

That is funny! Okay so I am sure it wasn't at the time but it will be a knee slapper in a few years!! Joel is a cutie! How is your pregnancy going? Congrats by the way! That is awesome! We miss you!

Jami Jackson said...

Hey, you guys already used Jackson. Why isn't Jami on the list of choices for names?????

Jon

emlizalmo said...

UUUUUGH! What a nightmare. It makes me sweat with nervousness just reading this. I'm so sorry Sarah. Love you guys. BTW...we have a family shoot with Jonathan Canlas on Thursday. I forget how you know him?

Julia Kelly said...

Kids never seem to disappoint to make Sundays interesting. Congrats on a little girl! How fun.

Kim Walker said...

Oh my GOSH! Sarah, what an embarrassing moment. That is halarious! I'm sorry you had to endure that but it made me laugh out loud!

MANDY said...

This is a great story, Sarah! I just found your blog off of Rachelle's. I hope that's okay. Hope you guys are well, and it's exciting to hear that you're having another baby. Congrats! You have a beautiful family! Hello to the Flakes, too!

Flake Family said...

Wild!! Why isn't your blog on the regular flake blog? I never read yours. It's great. Dad.