Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Labor Day and Home School

We spent the first half of Labor Day weekend with my sister, Bethany, and her family in DC.  Thanks for watching our kids while we were at the temple, Beth!
Also, this view from the freeway never gets old:
We were back in time to spend Labor Day Monday with Matt's parents on Cheat Lake.  We  were so glad to have the chance to enjoy the boat and a little tubing!







 
Fun times! 

Of course, by Labor Day, we had already done a couple of weeks of school.  We are in our fourth week of school now and we love it!  Lots of people have asked me how school "works", so I decided to take some pictures and try to give you an idea of how our day-to-day goes.

First, I have a STRICT rule that we do nothing before school.  I don't check my email and I never answer the phone during school hours.  Any distraction can be disastrous for school.  We eat breakfast and start immediately.  That usually means sometime between 8 and 8:30am.

The first thing we do is sit down at the kitchen table with our History and Science books.  On Wednesdays Matt is around to help with Science.



On this particular day, Matt is teaching the kids about insects and they are looking at insects they have caught under the microscope.

History is a lot of people's favorite.  We read from the book and then get to write about what we've learned in a huge timeline book.  After that, we identify the area we are learning about on a map and do various activities and coloring pages.  Pretty fun.

History and Science are the only two subjects we do together as a family.  After we finish with those, we begin a sort of rotation.


One kid goes to the computer to do their math.
 



One kid goes to the table to do their independent workbooks. (these include, spelling, vocabulary, handwriting, math facts, journal and various writing projects)
And one kid comes into the living room to do reading, language arts and flash cards (vocab words, spelling words and math facts) with me.

After everyone has rotated through all of the stations, we're done.  We're done by lunchtime.

In addition to the regular subjects, the kids take piano lessons for music, do sports for gym (currently doing soccer), go to the library weekly, and have a fun art binder they make art projects from (I printed out pictures of art projects from pinterest and made it myself.

We are working on starting an LDS homeschool co-op, though we have been going to the other one here in Buckhannon.  And, of course, the kids have cub scouts and activity days.  We're really busy in the mornings and the evenings, but the kids pretty much have their afternoons (after chores) to do whatever they want.  That gives me a chance to get things done.

Oh, and if you're wondering how we do all this with Hazie, she is NOT very good for most of it. 

She cries and fusses most of the time. I stop and squeeze her and love on her when I can.  We give her snacks and piles of toys to try to keep her occupied.  At some point, I give up and put her in her bed.  I don't think she actually sleeps, but she's quiet in there. :)

6 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Once again you amaze me, Sarah! Way to go being super mom! You forgot to mention that you do it all as your are tired and pregnant!

Kustin and Jelsey said...

Very interesting. Liked the description of home school. Looks great.

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

You've probably already tried these ideas for Hazel, but when I do learning time with my kids for an hour (a mere fraction of the time you spend) Katie goes nuts. The things that were successful in distracting her for longer periods of times were magnetic letters and numbers and pictures that I only brought out during that time. Also, I finally just let her sit with us at the table and gave her a couple crayons and scratch paper. That was her favorite. Again, you've probably already tried this stuff, but...I know your pain to a certain degree and it's not fun.

Debbie said...

Sarah, thank you for reminding me what a blessing and privilege it was to homeschool my children. Don't worry about the baby because some days, she is the lesson. Keep going you are great!

Payne said...

This is so impressive. Matt just called and said to check the blog and that there's a post about homeschooling! My Clayre is gone from 9 to 4 Sarah! It makes me want to homeschool. The mere thought still terrifies me...but for whatever reason it's still in the back of my mind...

Jami Jackson said...

I am so glad you still blog!! I love seeing what you guys are up to. I was wondering if you are still home-schooling your kids after the move. Looks like you are and it looks like you have it down to an awesome system. I love it!