Tuesday, May 7, 2013

DC and Buckhannon

So much has been going on.  We moved out of Altoona, stayed with Matt's parents for a month, and moved in to our new place in Buckhannon.  I guess the best I can do to catch up is to post the pictures I have on my camera right now.

We took a short trip to DC to see my parents.  They were actually in town on their way to attend my sister, Whitney's graduation from SVU.

We're all so proud.  And jealous, because now she and her husband have moved to Ecuador to teach English for 6 months.  Some people have all the fun!

We came to DC a day early so our kids could get a little "school" in at the Natural History Museum.  We chose that museum out of all the many choices for its many exhibits that interest my kids.


For Merrody; the ocean life exhibit.  We were looking in the aquarium, and I thought I saw a tiny gold star (like the ones the teachers used to give us in kindergarten) stuck to the glass wall.  Nope, it was a tiny baby starfish!  Cutest thing ever!

For Joel; crystals, geodes and rock formations galore.  I never did post about the science fair, but Joel grew about 15 different kinds of crystals.  He was in heaven.




And for Jack:  A live butterfly exhibit.  Jack's science fair project was on the life cycle of butterflies (the pics above are from the butterflies he grew from caterpillars).

After we left the museum, I tried to get a family picture in front of the Capitol Building.

This is what my family would look like if only the obedient kids were allowed to remain in the family.  Ha!


There we go, a normal family picture.  Mom's behind the camera and Norah's not looking.

That evening we met up with my parents, Whitney and her husband Adam, and my sister Heather's family.  So fun!
My Mom and Dad are heading on a mission in a few months.  We're all so excited!

The next day we did the National Zoo. 

Is it just me or has Hazie perfected the cute wink?




 ...and to the Air and Space Museum the last day.





Thanks for the fun time, Mom and Dad!

Now, we're settling in to our new home in Buckhannon.

If there is ever a time to move to Buckhannon, it's now!  The hills and valleys are filled with rich, fragrant, blossoming trees and it's as green as Ireland.  It really is magical. 


I wanted my Dad to see the views from my house (He likes that sort of thing).  Here you go!  This is what we see from the front:
Here's one side:


and the other:

5 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

So many things to comment on in this post: great review of the trip and I love the house! Can't wait to visit!

Ashley D said...

Wow the views. I DO want to visit. Looks like quite the place!

Kustin and Jelsey said...

Your house looks like it really great!

Haley Burr said...

Wow, what a place! Your house is beautiful. It almost looks fake!

Pittsburgh Members/Friends, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said...

What a fun post! Ahh the DC museums! Many good times there when our home was Glen Burnie. It is so fun to see your kids enjoying the same museum that was my kids' favorite. This brought back many fond memories. Your new home is exquisite! Talk about a yard! :-)