Sunday, March 17, 2013

What's Gotten Into Me?

I haven't posted since January.  What the heck?  Well,I guess I do have a few good excuses:

1.  Winter has been brutal.  I'm pretty sure I have SADD or something.  I want to crawl in a hole and die every time I look outside and see more snow. 

2.  I homeschool.  I'm not sorry I do, but I have to admit the energy of fall and even the holidays has worn off and it's just a matter of forcing myself out of bed every day to do it.  2 more months!  I think summer vacation this year will be more exciting for me than the kids!

3.  We're moving.  Again. It's right, I know that.  For so many reasons, I'm super happy about this move.  It's just the packing up all of our earthly possessions for the 6th time in 5 years that's killing me.  And doing it while homeschooling.  And doing it in the middle of the bleakest winter ever.

Am I depressing? Sorry.

Here are some pictures to balance out this super lame-o post:







I totally missed posting about Valentine's Day.  My children are each so dear.  This year has been amazing because I have really gotten to know each one of them better than ever before.  They are smart and funny and so cute!

I'm sorry I said homeschool has me down.  It's really been so perfect for us this year.  So many of the things the kids struggled with last year are completely or almost completely better.  Merrody is really thriving in her academics, Joel's behavior is never better (think 3 hour cleaning sessions every afternoon!).  Jack has learned about 2 years worth of school in one!  Norah is even thriving with her siblings around so much.  And Baby Hazie gets so much attention from everyone!  Aside from that, we are moving in the middle of the school year--exactly what I worried would happen if I left my kids in public school.  Thank heavens this move won't alter anything for them at school.

Our homeschool has gone from this:
 to this:
and sometimes even this:
And Hazie spends a lot of her school time doing this:

Our local homeschool community puts on a history fair in February and a Science Fair in April.  The kids loved doing their history projects on Pocahontas, Ben Franklin and Colonial Times.  They gave oral presentations and they even dressed up!


 
Well, Merr didn't love dressing up:) Now, they're in full swing of preparing for their Science Fair Projects.  I won't ruin the surprise by telling you what they're doing.  I'll post pictures when it happens.  I can tell you that for one of the projects, my house is a constant chemistry lab.  Thank heavens for Matt!

The local theatre company did a children's play last week.  All of the kids auditioned.  Sadly, only Jack got a part.  We all went to cheer him on at his performances yesterday and he was the best rooster there!


Well, I guess I'm feeling a little better about my life.  I should blog more!  Or be more grateful, duh!

5 comments:

Jennifer Miller said...

So...Where are you moving? Back to the West I hope?

Malone Family Blog said...

Honestly, you folks have it all together. Easy? NO, but Worth it. Where on earth did you get the costumes? Soooo cute.
xoxo Mom M.

Jami Jackson said...

Great pics! I heard about the move. So excited for you guys!!

Courtnie said...



Normally I don't comment because it probably seems weird. You may not even remember me. But I just wanted to say, as another homeschooling mom to another, I feel for you. Homeschooling has a honeymoon phase where it is all exciting and new and fun, but it does wear off, just like all novel things do. Some days I don't want to do the schooling either. But I have realized it is totally okay to take a day off now and then and do other activities. Education and learning don't have to just be done sitting at a desk/table/whatever and doing bookwork.

Also, I have learned that burnout is common and to be expected. It is okay to take a break! We pack a lot of learning into a smaller amount of time! The kids might get burned out too. And, of course we all know: We can do hard things!

I wish you the best with all your future endeavors, and that you find the balance and harmony that you seek with homeschooling and life. :) I am still seeking, but I feel I am getting closer. However, I realize I will have to reevaluate and shift now and then as me and my family change. :)

Oh, and one last thing. Happiness, I wish you happiness! Time for some sun! :)

Pittsburgh Members/Friends, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said...

The history projects are amazing Sarah. As hard as home schooling can be, the short time I did it with Christian holds a special place in each of us. We both learned so much and shared so much and he learned to play the recorder. I wouldn't trade those times. Multiply that by 100 and you have what you are doing. It is worth it!! Your kids are more brilliant and will continue to be so because of all the time you have sacrificed. I really have no idea how you have done it!!