Sunday, May 19, 2013

Strawberry Festival 2013

You may have worried what Buckhannon, West Virginia would have to offer my kids.  I know I did.  Never fear, though.  Buckhannon has the O'Neill family.  Matt and I knew the O'Neills years ago in dental school.  Back then we never imagined how important they would be to us some day!  In a town of population 6,000, in the east, with a small ward of members, you would never expect to find a family with friends for each of your kids.  Enter Beth, Patrick, Thomas, Cate, and Maggie:



Amazing, right?  I would be lying if I said it wasn't an answer to prayer for both families.  Being locals, the O'Neills invited us to do the Strawberry Festival with them.  



 The West Virginia Strawberry festival is a big deal.  It includes 4 parades over the period of a week, a carnival, various competitions, and, of course, a pageant.  The Grand Feature Parade is 2 1/2 hours long and showcases high school bands from all over the state, dancing groups and even international bands and dancing groups!  There were groups from Canada, New Jersey, Haiti and Peru!  This festival is for real.

And Beth was in it, too!


I wanted to act like a local, so I did all of our nails like strawberries.

And put these in our yard:

And we got all of the girls strawberry dresses made by a local vendor.



My friend Sharleen came down for the festival.  We had a great time, but didn't get much sleep!



Matt ran the "Strawberry Mile" race.

 By the time the parade was over, I just wanted to go home and take a nap.  But there were rides to be ridden and carnival food to eat.  What was a girl to do?

This is one of Hazel's faces.  She kills me!
Do I look pregnant in this pic?  Don't answer that...

4 comments:

Ashley D said...

Looks like fun! I want some of those strawberry dresses for my girls. So cute!

Pittsburgh Members/Friends, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said...

What a neat blessing to have reunited with a family that has kids all the same age as yours, & hoorah for strawberries! Love the toes, dresses and yard decor!

Pittsburgh Members/Friends, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said...

PS Way to go on the Strawberry Mile race Matt!

Melanie Eastman said...

Looks fun! There's a girl in our ward here that just moved from Buckhannon--isn't that weird??