Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Big Surprise

My brother Joel LOVES surprises. The first year with lived in Morgantown he talked me into flying myself and Matt and baby Merrody out to surprise the family for my sister Bethany's farewell. He picked us up from the airport and hid us at his house until the family came over for a farewell dinner. Then we just sauntered out and everyone went wild. Last Spring Joel planned an entire trip east for his family for spring break and didn't tell the kids they were going until they were at the airport. And two months ago, Joel called me to tell me he had cooked up another surprise. Wouldn't it be fun if he bought Melanie a surprise plane ticket to come visit me for her birthday? Yes! Of course! I was so excited.
So, Joel and I made more surprise plans. I was given strict instructions that Melanie was not going to be leaving her 6 kids to come wipe my 4 kids' noses. I needed babysitters. Joel had me look up concerts in the area and bought Melanie and me excellent tickets to the Carrie Underwood concert at Penn State. I had already planned the ward craft day for that weekend, so I signed Melanie up to make the cutest things. I started saving coupons and store ads so we could have a fun shopping day.

On Melanie's birthday, Joel gave her a CD-- Carrie Underwood. With it were three envelopes, each inside another. The first envelope was a set of tickets to a concert. The next was her plane ticket. The final envelope help a letter from me explaining the plans for the weekend. I think her biggest surprise was that it would all happen in 36 hours from when she found out!

When the day finally arrived, I was so excited! The weekend went perfectly. We spent all of Friday shopping at Gabes and the mall. Went out Friday night with Matt to dinner and a movie. Saturday most of the day was spent crafting. Saturday night, the Carrie Underwood concert was excellent. By the time Melanie headed home on Sunday afternoon we were both exhausted, but very happy. What a fun time and a fun surprise!
Oh, and Matt was INCREDIBLE. He was so supportive and cool. He watched the kids all day on Saturday and most of the day on Sunday. Joel may have come up with the idea, but both husbands made it amazing. Thanks for the fun time, guys!



Fever blister. I know.

8 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Sounds so fun! Matt is such a good sport!

Whitney said...

Looks like fun!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great weekend... thank you for the time spent planning, driving, getting sitters, shopping, crafting, going out to eat, to the movies, and the fun concert. You are a teriffic sister-in-law and best friend.
-melanie

emlizalmo said...

That is awesome! Do you think you and Dave could concoct something similar for ME and you??? :)

Cami said...

How fun! You both look so pretty too. How do you stay looking so good? Again, I love your photography. You're very talented.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I think wives deserve it! I am glad you got to go out and have a good time!

Jennifer Miller said...

how Fun!

MANDY said...

Wow, Joel did an amazing job with that birthday surprise....how fun for you and Melanie.