
It was my birthday this week. Matt bought me these beautiful flowers. I love them. But what I really wanted for my birthday was to go to the pumpkin patch. I know it shouldn't be a big deal to me, but I don't like buying pumpkins at the grocery store. Worse is buying pumpkins that are layed out on the ground in rows and called a pumpkin patch. Pumpkins on the vine only for me, thank you very much! But October has been crazy for us and gets even crazier from here on out. Tonight was our one shot to go. I knew it would be tricky. It gets dark early around here and Matt rarely gets out of the office before 6. I had to get all the kids ready, pick up some cash and meet Matt at his office with dinner in the car. All in the hopes that he would actually be ready to leave by 5 and get up there before 6.
We drove all the way out there and just missed the hayride tractor pulling out headed toward the pumpkin patch. We paid our $30(!!!) and waited patiently for our turn. When the tractor returned, each passenger had a pumpkin. By the time we were on our way, we were losing sunlight fast...

And then we saw it--the pumpkin patch! We would make it after all! There were plenty of pumpkins left, too. 
But what? The tractor pulled past the pumpkin patch and turned around. Surely he was just repositioning the tractor for our return trip to the farm. No, he was passing the pumpkin patch! "Wait! What about our pumpkins?!" Then the driver swore up and down that he asked all of us before we got on if we wanted pumpkins and we said we were just there for the ride. "Can you turn back around?" "No." "Can we get off and walk?" "Absolutely not" "Can we just stay on when you get back to the farm and come back out here?" "I've got 100 people waiting back at the farm to come out here." I was TICKED OFF. The light was fading and we were headed back to the farm without pumpkins. The other riders kept telling me that I shouldn't mess with that guy. He looked mad. I WAS MAD.
When we got back to the farm I marched myself right up to the front desk and asked for the manager. I never do this. I let that lady have it. "We paid $30 to take our kids out to the pumpkin patch and pick their pumpkins off the vine. Your guy didn't stop at the patch, wouldn't let us off, and refused to take us back there. We want to pick our pumpkins off the vine. TONIGHT." Matt thought I was kind of mean. The lady let us drive our own car out there (something they don't do) and get our own pumpkins. And guess what? We had the place all to ourselves!












8 comments:
TOTALLY awesome story. Norah is the cutest baby in the land, hands down. You look really pretty in these pictures.
Ash
Hey, I get it. All the efforts a mom makes to do something special with her family....I totally get it. The manager was a good route to go with your frustrations.
You do it girl! I mean it. That is outrageous. I would have been livid right along with you. LIVID. And now...look at all the great pictures you have! :) Love you.
Oh Sarah, I know how you are with your pumpkim patches. And I admit I've adopted it too. My kids wanted to buy a pumpkin at Walmart and I said, "No Way!". Luckily there is a pumpkin patch right down the street from us. We're going tonight.
Oh, and I LOVE the pictures!
Pretty cool
You were absolutely right to be upset. So glad it all worked out for you. And Ashley is right--Norah is a doll!!
Wow, what a crazy man. So glad you got to go pick your pumpkins off of the vine :)
Good job Mama Bear, standing your ground! We are waiting until Thomas' birthday next week to make our trip to the patch. We can't wait!
Post a Comment