Saturday, July 18, 2009

Birthday Injustice

I suppose I'm to blame. I shouldn't give Merrody good birthday parties just because she was born in the summer. Or maybe I shouldn't have had Joel in the dead of winter. Either way, Merrody has had a number of really fun birthday parties and Joel has had none. One year we had Merrody's birthday party at the zoo, another at the swimming pool and this year... horseback riding at a ranch.











In Merrody's defense, she is a really good girl and deserves to have her birthday celebrated in style. The other morning she spent a good 2 hours doing chore after chore that I asked her to do.






And her love of horses is not a fleeting interest. While other kids jump from Hannah Montana to ponies and on to something else, Merrody has loved horses since she was two. It defines her. And it explains why all of her jeans have holes in the knees.









She was willing to settle for a horse-themed party at our house. She's not spoiled.








And she would've included as many girls as space or sanity would permit. She would even include her younger brothers.
Can you believe no one wanted to be partners with this handsome guy for the game? Give them time...
Sweet little Jack wanted to wear the helmet even if he was too young to ride the horse.
Grandma lucked out. Because one of the little girls wasn't able to make it, she was able to ride too!
Oh, and did I mention it was close to 100 degrees today? Little sweetheart spent most of the time in the air conditioned car!

8 comments:

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Really fun! How come I didn't get invited? I have always loved horses...well, I'm just an over-all animal lover I guess.

sarahandmatt said...

The justice was surely on Merrody's side at her party. Wow! It was VERY hot at the stables, but we had a ball. Even Joelly rode a BIG horsey. I loved it all and I love this blog!
Mom Malone

literaqueen said...

I love the picture of Jane on the horse. How fun!! Travel safely-- I can't wait to see you!

Jami Jackson said...

What a fun day! I remember that party at Hovaters Zoo . . . the biting donkey and all! What good memories and I just love that Merrody has loved horses for almost all her life. You are such a good Mommy to sweet Merrody. She deserves it!

emlizalmo said...

Oh wow! What a party! Merrody is a doll...and I know how much you rely on her. What a great girl. She deserved a party so great! Wish my Lizzy could have been there. She's a horse fanatic too! :)

emlizalmo said...

Oh...and go Aunt Jane!!!! You look GREAT on that horse. :)

Laura B. said...

That Nora is TOO cute! Seriously...horseback riding? Funnest Mom EVER!

MANDY said...

How great that Grandma Jane was there to celebrate! Yeah, it is always lopsided when you compare summer birthdays to winter ones. It is very sweet, though, that little brothers were included.