Thursday, May 7, 2009

Heroes in Motherhood

Today for your reading enjoyment, I will be paying tribute to some of my heroes in motherhood. Usually, I would choose women way older than myself. I am choosing heroes from my age group today. These women are amazing now, just imagine what they'll be like in 20 years!







Hero #1: SuperMom

My brother, Joel, has many flaws. He has not always done everything right. One thing he did perfectly was choose the mother for his children. I spend a lot of my time wishing I was more like Melanie (Matt probably does too!). Melanie has 6 kids ranging in age from 10 years to 6 months. Her home is clean, organized and well-maintained. Her children eat healthy food, including homemade wheat bread! Melanie works about as hard as anyone I have ever known. She is up bright and early and making a hot breakfast. After the kids are off to school, Melanie gets the younger three situated and heads out for her morning run. Next week, Melanie will run her 7th marathon! After her run and shower, Melanie spends her days getting lots of work done. Each day she has a list of tasks to be accomplished and they always are. Each of her children is given chores to do and they are always done! Her children work because that's what they were taught to do. Because of Melanie, her children thrive at school, church, home and in their extracirricular activities. Melanie's kids are taught well the things of the gospel. They have family home evening, family prayer and family scripture study regularly. In the summer, Melanie plants a large vegetable garden. You guessed it! She harvests and freezes/cans her own vegetables. She buys fruit in bulk for canning, juicing and jamming. Her kids' bed quilts are homemade by Melanie. Melanie's kids are clean and tidy in appearance and behavior. Don't get me wrong, they are encouraged to play and even get dirty, but they are never left that way. In short, Melanie does it all. She actually does. When other Moms would be flustered or bored, Melanie is still at it, doing everything. From the beginning of their marriage, Joel and Melanie have planned for the future. All I can say is, if Joel could dream it, Melanie has done it. She is a true inspiration in motherhood!



Hero #2: Single Mom


Five years ago, at age 29, Megan was widowed suddenly and unexpectedly. Her children were 17 months old and 2 weeks old. Without warning, Megan found herself a single mother. I don't pretend to understand what Megan went through. So many times, I've tried to put myself in her place. What would I have done? How would I have handled the many decisions to be made? I know this, I couldn't have handled it with half as much class as Megan did. It must've been difficult to pack up her two (darling but difficult) sweeties and travel to visit the parents and family of her late husband. But she did. It must've been painful to revisit her feelings by staying in constant contact with reminders of what she had lost. But she did. I'm not sure I could've or would've been willing to continue sacrificing time and energy to help my children know more about their father and his family. In such a graceful way, Megan picked herself up and continued on when life was difficult and lonely. She was the mother her children needed, and the father too. She endured without complaint the challenging years of parenting young children all alone. I am happy to report that as of April 25th, Megan is no longer a single Mom. She has done it all alone for long enough. We are all so happy for you, Megan! You are a wonderful mother and a fantastic person!


Hero #3: Devoted Mother

I guess I knew Amy a little in highschool. She and her sisters would come visit Matt and Carey (cousins) sometimes in the summers. When Matt and I got married, we became better acquainted still. But I actually came to know and respect Amy as a mother through reading her blog. Not a day goes by that I don't check Amy's blog for some upbeat posting on her life with her sweet kids. Amy has the perfect family, by the way. She has a darling son first, with light brown hair. Blonde twin girls come next and they're rounded off by a beautiful red headed daughter at the end. I can't WAIT to see the bundle of joy headed for their home in the next month or so! Good genes is all I can say. But that's not what I admire about Amy. Amy exudes love. Sure, all mothers love their children, but not like Amy. Amy has a gift for loving. Amy's tender feelings for each child enable her to have a special relationship with each one individually. She looks for innate and individual gifts in her children and encourages them to develop those talents. She sees the best in her children (and everyone else, honestly). I think that is one of her most endearing traits. She also loves being a mother! I mean she LOVES it. She is one of the biggest examples of Christlike love I have ever seen in real life. If every woman, every person for that matter, had a little more of Amy's love, this world would be an amazing place. Amy, you are truly inspiring!

If I had Melanie's work ethic, Megan's class and Amy's love I think I would be the perfect mother. You girls are amazing!

8 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Wow, Sarah...you know how to make a girl feel good. Thanks. SO much we can learn from eachother on this motherhood journey. Aren't we lucky to be moms?

<3

Flake Family said...

Sarah, what did you mean when you said, "My brother, Joel, has many flaws." Ha! At least you were nice to Melanie. I agree 100%. I love her! --Joel

Unknown said...

Sarah,

I seldom have time to read cousin's blogs, but your dad Joel intrigued me by making a comment, and I wanted to see what you said about Melanie as I have always MARVELED at her. You did her justice--I could never quite get to the bottom of it like she does. What a girl. I know you are a great mom too, and your MOM is a GREAT mom! I got Derek's graduation announcement too and was reminded what a great kid he is. It goes on and on!!

Love you all,

Aunt Elaine
Aunt Elaine

mj said...

I don't know your sister in law, but I sure agree on the other two. Thanks so much for taking the time to blog. I love it !!!Your family is beautiful.

The Snow Queen said...

Hey! I came over from amy s's and low and behold I found an old mission buddy. I served in chile with Joel. What a small world! I loved your post. Mom's are the most amazing creatures around.

The Snow Queen said...

Would you do me a favor and email them my email I would love to get in touch! (my name is melissa taylor snow) thanks!

thesnowsonline@gmail.com

Flake Family said...

Sarah,
You are the kindest sister-in-law and friend that anyone could ever want. I don't deserve the tribute you gave to me. I am constantly learning things from all of the mothers around me on how I can do better, including from you. You are always doing things that are so meaningful and selfless. You are a wonderful person and mother and I am glad that I get to be your friend and sister. I love you
Melanie

Flake Family said...

I love you and I loved your blog. what a great, insightful writer you are, and how nice to pay tribute to people that inspire you. You are doing a great job with your family as well. Norah is a true doll baby in that new picture. Anxious to see you at the end of the month. Thanks for the olive Garden gift card. I love it and will use it--not with Dad though, he doesn't like it that much and ruins my fun! Mom