Sunday, May 8, 2016

It's About the Hair



Someone who knew my mother when she was younger told me a story about her.  She said that when my mom was a young mother, with eight or so kids, she asked her how she did it.  

"How do you do it all?" she asked.  

My mother's response? " It's the hair."

The woman was confused.  "What do you mean?"

"Well," my mother said, "every time I leave the house I make sure that all of the kids have their hair combed and fixed.  That's what gives me the appearance of having it all together."

The woman told me that she thought about that story often, and I have to admit, I have also thought about the story often.  NO ONE has it all together all of the time, but if anyone had it figured out, it was my mom.  I actually fix my kids' hair more often because of that story, and I feel more put together.  She was right!

That got me thinking about all of the traits I have as a mother because my Mom was my mother.  And because I am my mother's daughter, I made a list!  

BECAUSE OF YOU, MOM:

1.  I get dressed and ready every.single.day.  regardless of the fact that I am a stay-at-home mom and I have nowhere to go.  My makeup is on, my hair is done, and I am often wearing slacks.

2.  I cannot be truly happy unless my house is all the way clean.  If I am acting grouchy, it is most likely because the house is a mess.

3.  Because you're my mom, guests can always expect a perfectly clean house with clean sheets, towels, scrubbed floors, etc.  

4.  I am one of the best cookie bakers I know.

5.  My children are fed a home cooked meal every night.

6.  Because of you, each of my kids owns a quilt made by their mother.

7.  I can play the piano for church, and I can help my kids practice for their lessons.

8.  I can sing and I can teach myself the harmony to any song, though I usually can't make it through without crying---that's because of you, too!

9.  When harvest season comes,  I have an overwhelming urge to can and freeze all the produce I can get my hands on.

10.  I talk on the phone to my sisters and my Mom.

11.  I love Chinese food.

12.  Because of you, I never complain about my husband's calling at church.

13.  Birthday cakes at my house are homemade, and gifts are wrapped.

14.  Despite having six kids, I am NEVER late for church, or anything else for that matter.  I learned that from you.

15.  I am not afraid of hard work and I don't shy away from non-glamorous jobs, either.

16.  Holidays are special at my house, just like that were when I was a kid.

17.  Because you're my mom, I crave homemade bread and stew when it snows and sugar cookies at Christmas.

18.  I don't hold grudges because you never have.

19.  I don't measure myself against others.

20.  Because of the home you raised me in, I love babies and I believe in big families.

I am proud to have inherited so many of your amazing traits, Mom.  You are truly an inspiration to me.  If I can have half the success you've had as a mother, I will count myself blessed.  I LOVE YOU!



1 comment:

Ashley D said...

Amen. Mom taught me ask those things too! Although most of them I just aspire to, and don't actually do ;)