Someday, some Mother's Day in the future, when I get all the "thank yous" and don't have to do all of the work. I know when that day comes, I'll long to have these days back. I'll long for the days when my children needed me more than anything. For the days when I could wrap them in my arms and take care of everything. Because, as it turns out, I would much rather be a Mother than celebrate motherhood anyday.






P.S. My Mother's Day gift to you are two of my favorite recipes. Do yourself a favor and try these:
Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
yields: 25 cookies
1 stick salted sweet cream butter, softened (don't blaspheme these cookies with shortening)
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Ghiradelli all natural bittersweet chocolate chips
form into 25 balls. bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes

Tortilla Soup
3 chicken breasts, grilled and shredded
1 can diced green chiles
3-4 cans of canellini beans (white kidney beans)
3-4 cans of dicedtomatoes with green chiles
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 box of chicken broth
1 small bag of frozen corn
1 small onion
Saute the onion, green chiles and one can of tomatoes in the chicken broth with the pkg of taco seasoning. Add the remainingingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips (I prefer Fritos), and TONS of lime and cilantro. P.S. 1 bowl of this soup without chips is only 188 calories!


6 comments:
Was this the tortilla soup we had in Moses Lake? Can't wait to try it. Yes, your Mothers Day was well spent, rather than being rewaraded, but you are wise enough to realize your importance. I made dinner of 20 year old pinto beans from storage and delicious corn bread. Honestly! We love our Sarah and our Matt and precious little Jackie.
Poor little Jack. I'm glad he's better
Aw--poor tyke. We saw Matt on Saturday, and he told me about Jack. :o(
I'm gonna try that soup recipe. It looks DELISH!
I am so sorry about your poor sweet boy and that your mother's day was spent at the hospital. I LOVE what you said though about being a mother rather than just celebrating it. Love you.
Poor Jack. He looks so sad and sick. He's lucky to have you as a Mom. Yum, thanks for the recipes!
What an awesome lesson for all of us moms. Motherhood is not about us, its about our children and loving them.
Thanks Sarah. Well written!
Post a Comment