Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Drivers

Little known fact: Did you know that for the 9 and a half years that Matt and I have been married we have consistently gone on Sunday evening drives. And by consistently I mean like every Sunday. When we lived in Orem we would drive up the majestic Provo canyon. Maybe we would take the road up to Sundance or out to South Fork Park or all the way to Strawberry Reservoir. When we lived in Morgantown we would take the Kingwood Pike or Route 7 or Summerschool Road to some of the most beautiful country in the world. In Moses Lake, we would explore our way around the small neighboring farm towns in the flat land that stretched out forever. Johnstown has been no different.

Sunday drives give Matt and me an opportunity to talk about life with the kids safely strapped in. We love to look out at the beautiful farmland, the fancy homes or the natural beauties wherever we go. We learn the geography of our current hometown and surrounding areas. It's something we both love.

Tonight we went on such a drive. It was filled with all the natural beauty we try not to get too blase about. It was filled with the regular scintillating conversation such as "Dad how does all the dirt get there and what makes dirt so dirty?" and "Kids, see how fast I'm driving? That's how fast a cheetah can run." We stopped when we found Blue Knob State Forest (another bonus of Sunday drives is that we're always finding cool parks and nature reserves). I just happened to have my trusty camera handy... :)



















I know I put this picture twice. It's my favorite.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

I just have to say that I think Norah is so stinkin' cute!

emlizalmo said...

Oh wow...I love the colors in these pictures! I love the place, but even more so, the kids. What a great Sunday tradition. There is almost nothing I love more. Sad thing is, our drives have to include barf bags. :(

Jami Jackson said...

Sarah, you never cease to amaze me with your pictures! Norah is absolutely adorable. I love the face that some of your kids are just relaxed and enjoying themselves. Those are the best pictures you can get.

Bethany said...

I can't imagine enjoying driving on those windy roads!
P.S. It's obvious who your favorite kid is. Give Norah a break - have another baby;)

mj said...

What fabulous pictures !! The one you put on twice is my favorite too.Your sweet family just keeps getting cuter and cuter.

Unknown said...

I love this Sarah - it is so visually gratifying with all of the colors and the way you arranged the photos individually on the black background. So nice to read about your Sunday drives as well. Thanks so much for taking our family pic this weekend! The one I like is 264. See you on the 25th! Molly :)

Payne said...

love this post. love sunday drives. love that pic of Norah Rae and please send it to me so I can put it in Clayre's room and then hopefully one day they'll be friends.