Thursday, June 24, 2010

JFFR 2010

Every summer when my family gets together we have a family meeting. Among other things, we decide when and where the next reunion will be and who will be in charge. Last summer Matt and I were living in Moses Lake when we had the family meeting. We had no immediate plans of moving and were, therefore, excited to be voted in as the reunion planners for 2010. And the reunion was to be held in Washington for our convenience.

And that's exactly how life works, isn't it?

After we moved across the country, there was some discussion about changing the site, date, and/or planners of the reunion. That's when we learned that it's virtually impossible to change the plans of 11 individual families once all of our calendars and summer plans had been put in place.

So we got creative.

A big thanks to my Dad and my sisters, Ashley and Cassidy for making the 84 total hours of driving from Johnstown, PA to Cle Elum, WA and back again with me and my four noisy children.



Matt didn't have the time to do all that driving. He flew directly to Seattle and was there for the actual reunion and then flew back home for work.


I'm glad we got to drive across the country, though. I like my kids to know what the different regions of the country look like. We saw the rolling, tree covered mountains of the east. We saw the flat farmland of the midwest. We saw the dramatic and gorgeous red rocks of Wyoming and the tall snow capped mountains in Utah. We saw the sage brush covered desert of Idaho and some pretty dramatic mountains and evergreens in Oregon. We travelled through 11 states in all and we slept atleast one night in each of the four time zones of the continental United States. We were more than a little weary when we finally made it to Cle Elum, Washington, home of Ensign Ranch, a church ranch run by the LDS church for girls camps, youth conferences, and the odd family reunion.Our reunion fell in an unfortunate window of time. My brother, Derek, had just left on his mission a couple of weeks before and my sister, Whitney, would return only a couple of weeks after the reunion. My parents were missing three kids in all (my brother Dillon was at Aaronic Priesthood Camp). It's still a pretty hefty group, don't ya think?





Ensign Ranch has a lot to offer. Canoeing, Hiking, Horseback Riding and a Giant Water Slide, Running Trails and All the sports equipment you can imagine, to name a few.

And what church camp is complete without handcart rides?


A lot of our fun was the homemade kind. We stayed in a nice big lodge with 7 bedrooms and a huge industrial kitchen. It also had a big main room where we had meetings and activities. There was a dance-off...
If I liked you better I might post pictures of myself dancing. I think these of my parents are sufficiently humiliating.





We also had a talent show...





We also had more serious meetings. We had a family history meeting, a testimony meeting and a missionary meeting...
That's all the kids wearing their parents' missionary nametags.




Of course we took family pictures, too. This year I wasn't the family photographer! Ashley took all of the pictures at this reunion and did a great job! Thanks, Ash!


Overall, it was a long trip and a lot of sacrifice. But it was worth it. My kids had a blast with their cousins and Matt and I loved being reunited with some of our best friends in the whole world. We love our family! Thanks for the fun time guys!

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

What a fun time! And a LOT of driving it looks like...but well worth it! Love to see your updates! Your family is adorable!

Jami Jackson said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Love the pictures! And I am amazed at all that driving you did with you kids! Way to go Sarah!

Joel Flake, Sr. said...

Totally awesome Sarah!!! Love, your dad.

Joel Flake, Sr. said...

Sarah, is there any way to forward this, like to my siblings? Dad.

mj said...

This looks wonderful ! sarah,you amaze me!!how on eatrh did you do it all log distance? The pictures of your family are great. You must have lots of photography talent in your family.

Malone Family Blog said...

Can't I come next year? Looks soooooo fun. What a great family. xoxoxoxo

literaqueen said...

Wait . . . you drove all the way back to WASHINGTON?!? Lesson from this: procrastination is a good thing and allows for changes of plans. If you just hadn't made reservations already, you could have stayed local . . .

Laura B. said...

First...I love Ensign Ranch. Countless Daddy/Daughter campouts, 6 years of girls camp...I have yet to find a comparable church camp. Love it!
Second, your family reunions crack me up! I love the Talent Show picture of your parents.
Last, your family is darling! Nora gets cuter and cuter every day!