

When I was a little girl, my Dad was asked to take our growing family to attend church in a "struggling" branch in Masontown, WV. We were just babies. I don't know how old I was, all I know is that my earliest memories of church are from the Masontown Ward. It was there that I learned my first primary songs, there that I did my first "church fund raiser" and there where I was baptized. Those people became my family. I was more than a little sad when, at age 10, we eventually had to return to the ward we rightfully belonged to. I guess in life there are always people you have to leave for a time. But, somehow, getting back together reminds us of some part of who we are. Something that seems to have laid dormant during our absence. This is especially true for me when I get back together with my family after a long separation. I'm like, "Oh! This is who I am." And the same thing happened last Sunday when my brother, my sister, and I took our families back to the Masontown ward for the first time ever since we were kids! It was so refreshing to my soul to be back there among "my" people. It felt good and comfortable and right. These people had helped to raise me. These people taught me the gospel and planted the first seeds of my testimony. And the kids, they were like siblings. Thanks, Masontown Ward, for what you gave me. I will definitely be back again.

5 comments:
Very profound comments, "Oh this is who I am." I like that. It's like when we do something wrong and someone says to us "That not you." How true. I guess who we really are, is our pre-mortal self. It's like when all the family gets back together, we remember who we all are, "Oh yeah, this is who I am. I am part of this wonderful, diverse group, of oh-so meaningful relationships. Sorry to moralize! Dad F.
How awesome that you got to go back...and the same people were there! :) That is how I feel when I go to Dover. They, along with my parents, made me who I am. I love this post. Love you, too. :)
Oh, I wish I had been there! My family had such a great time seeing you guys. My mom called me after church and said "We had such a fun Sunday!" I wanted to let your families know how much your visit and your testimonies meant to my parents - thank you!
When we were kids and we saw a good looking kid with blonde hair, we'd say "Hey, that looks like a Flake!" which to us meant something good, but the person we were pointing to probably didn't take it as a compliment!
You have such a special family and helped make Masontown a special place. It's so fun to see pictures of everyone. Great memories! Take care!
It was great to see all of you! Well, not all....but some. Like I told Joel, it would be awesome if your parents came to visit with you next time. They were so special to all of us. We have missed the Flake family here in WV. Like you said, our ward was made up entirely of convert families. Your mom and dad taught us, and our parents, so much about the gospel and how to lead. Think of the long lasting effect your family has had on the families of that ward. So many of us are now raising our own children in the gospel, and Joel and RaeAnne Flake helped that to happen. Their legacy goes far beyond even their own children and grandchildren. I'm reminded that our church service really is so important, isn't it? (sorry if I spelled your mom's name wrong :)
I don't think I ever knew you were in Masontown, Sarah.
By the way: I love that Norah had her back to the camera for the picture-- cute!
Post a Comment