"A wise man once distinguished between 'the noble art of getting things done' and 'the nobler art of leaving things undone.' True wisdom in life,' he taught, consists of 'the elimination of the non'essentials'. "
"What are the nonessential things that clutter your days and steal your time? What are the habits you may have developed that do not serve a useful purpose? What are the unfinished or unstarted things that could add vigor, meaning and joy to your life?"
Some of you will remember this quote from Sister Beck's talk in the General RS meeting. I just read it yesterday in my Conference Ensign and LOVE it! So, as an exercise, I want to make a list of things to leave undone and habits that serve no useful purpose:
1. Checking my email 400 times a day. (surfing the web for cute Christmas clothes and searching random people on facebook fall under this category as well).
2. The idle chatter that accompanies my endless telephone calls (not to be confused with purposeful phone calls to check on loved ones or accomplish some task.)
3. Staying up after I'm tired, after the work is done, and doing essentially nothing.
4. Running to Walmart every other day instead of making a complete list so I can get everything in one trip.
I'm sure the list could be much longer. These are just off the top of my head. Anyway, the second part of the quote is the really important part: "What are the unfinished or unstarted things that could add vigor, meaning and joy to your life?" I have only one suggestion...
A few weeks ago I was talking on the phone to a local friend (NOT idle chatter because it inspired me to be better). She mentioned in passing that she gets up everyday at 5:30am to be showered, dressed and ready before she wakes her children up and gets them off to school. The thought was so foreign to me! What?! Some stay at home Moms aren't still in their pjs at 11? I was so intrigued that I decided to try it. It has been LIFE CHANGING! Now, I only have to get up at 6:30 to be dressed and ready before I need to wake my children up, but still. I have noticed such a difference in myself and the way the morning runs when I'm not dragging around in pjs and sweats trying to get my kids together. I forget less, I am more patient and pleasant, AND somehow, we have more time for important things like family prayer and a little pre-school conversation! My house is clean and together earlier in the morning, I'm out and about running errands and getting things done sooner, it's just great! This is one thing I have started that adds vigor, meaning and joy to my life. Don't knock it until you've tried it!:)
What are your ideas?
P.S. Thanks for the ideas with the kids. And, Christa, we ARE the noisiest family in the ward.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This is definitely something I have been thinking about lately. A couple weeks ago I started getting up early enough to run and then shower before the kids get up. I agree, it changes my day completely. I am such a better Mom when I do this.
I have also been trying to just be there for my kids. I find myself shooing them away when I am trying to get things done. They just want my attention right? And what's wrong with that? So I've been either trying to include them in my daily chores or if it's not an immediate "I have to get this done now!", I put it aside and give my children the attention they need. It usually only takes a minute and then I can get back to what I was doing.
Anyways, thanks for a great post. I enjoyed reading it.
I've tried doing this and every time, no matter how quietly I creep around, someone wakes up before they should and instantly wants breakfast. Then you can forget me getting my scripture time in alone. Any suggestions for that?
BTW, I love your new weekly devotionals.
I've done that before, and I agree it was very, very nice. Having everyone in school changes things a bit at our house. I can shower whenever I want to... which means I still haven't showered yet.
I'd love to cut some useless habits out of my life though. Email checking and online bargain shopping along with staying up too late are going to score at the top of my list. Thanks for the motivation.
2nd nosiest? I think you've got to fall back on option two: This too shall pass. And when it does you may find yourself stealing other peoples babies in sacrament. Joel & I hit the jackpot this Sunday and we *both* got a baby. :) Too bad we don't live closer, I could hold Norah while you throw candy into the mouths of the offenders.
Thanks for the post! I have been reading your blog for a while and never comment. I LOVE reading it though. You often write about things I have been thinking about myself. I like the idea of a weekly devotional; however, I haven't written on my blog in over five months or so.
You are a wonderful mother and example to me. Thanks for the GREAT posts -- keep them coming!!
Happy Thanksgiving!! Are y'all doing anything special? Special guests coming into town?
Love--Donna Christensen
I love Sister Beck's talk, too. It's hard to leave things undone, though. Important, but hard to do.
Getting up early makes a huge difference in the day. Good practice for when the kids are in seminary . . .
Post a Comment